chicken stock leeks salt white potatoes unsalted butter milk vegetable oil pork heavy cream grainy mustard mustard parsleyViewed: 20 - Published at: 10 months ago
- 3 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 2 large leeks, white and tender green parts only, halved lengthwise
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds white potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 white veal-and-pork sausages such as boudin blanc or bockwurst, halved lengthwise
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- In a large skillet, bring the chicken stock to a boil.
- Add the leeks and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Cover partially and simmer over low heat, carefully turning the leeks once, until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the leeks to a plate.
- Pour the stock into a large glass measuring cup.
- In a large saucepan, cover the potatoes with water.
- Add a large pinch of salt and bring to a boil over moderately high heat until tender, about 12 minutes.
- Pour off the water.
- Set the saucepan over the hot burner and shake the potatoes for 1 minute to dry them out.
- Pass the potatoes through a ricer into a medium saucepan.
- Gently stir in the butter, then stir in the milk.
- Season the potatoes with salt and pepper and cover.
- In the large skillet, heat the oil until shimmering.
- Add the sausages and cook over high heat until lightly browned, about 1 minute per side.
- Pour in the reserved leek cooking broth, cover and simmer over moderately low heat for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the sausages to a warmed platter and cover with foil.
- Boil the broth in the skillet over high heat until reduced to 2 cups, about 3 minutes.
- Add the cream and boil until reduced by one-third, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in both mustards and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the leeks to the sauce and simmer over low heat until heated through.
- Rewarm the potatoes, still covered, over moderately high heat, stirring once.
- Spoon the potatoes onto plates and set the sausages and leeks next to them.
- Spoon the mustard sauce over the leeks and potatoes, sprinkle with the parsley and serve.