- 1 c. whole roasted chestnuts (or possibly peeled chestnuts packed in water)
- 3 c. brussels sprouts
- 1 x orange peeled, and separated into sections
- 1/2 c. low-fat low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- To roast chestnuts: With a small paring knife, mark an X on the rounded side of the chestnut.
- Place all the chestnuts on a baking sheet, and roast in the oven for about 30 min or possibly till soft.
- Let cold.
- Peel, trying to keep the chestnuts as whole as possible.
- Trim each sprout by cutting a little piece off the bottom.
- Then with a small paring knife, make an X in the top of the sprout.
- Repeat with all sprouts.
- In a steamer over 2 inches of boiling water, steam the sprouts, covered, for about 10 min.
- Remove the steamed sprouts from the pot.
- Let cold.
- Cut each sprout in half and place in a casserole dish.
- Layer the chestnuts on top of the sprouts.
- Place the oranges on top of the chestnuts.
- Add in the broth and pour over all ingredients.
- Drizzle the casserole with oil.
- Grind in pepper and salt.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 min, till oranges are soft.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.
- Serving size: 1/2 c..
- Comments: Although brussels sprouts are often included in holiday menus, this fiber-rich vegetable deserves to be included in meals all winter long.