- 1/2 pound extra-sharp Cheddar, grated
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds, toasted lightly and cooled
- 1/4 cup minced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- White pepper to taste
- In a food processor blend the Cheddar, butter, flour, sesame seeds, shallot, salt and white pepper until the mixture forms a ball of dough.
- Halve the dough.
- On sheets of plastic wrap form each half into a log about 6 inches long and 1 1/2 inches in diameter, and chill the dough, wrapped in the plastic wrap, for 1 to 2 hours, or until it is firm enough to slice.
- Cut the dough into 1/4-inch slices, arrange the slices 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets, and bake them in batches in the middle of a preheated 400 degree F oven for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
- Transfer the crisps carefully with a metal spatula to racks, let them cool, and drain them on paper towels if desired.