- 3 c. (1 1/2 lbs.) dry Navy beans
- 1 can (16 ounce.) tomatoes, minced & liquid reserved
- 1 lg. onion, minced
- 1 meaty ham hock or possibly 1 c. diced, cooked ham
- 2 c. chicken broth
- 2 1/2 c. water
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Fresh minced parsley
- Rinse and sort beans.
- Cover with cool water and soak overnight.
- Drain beans and place in a large soup kettle or possibly Dutch oven.
- Add in tomatoes with juice, onion, ham hock, broth, water, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer till beans are tender, about 1 1/2 hrs.
- Add in more water if necessary.
- Remove ham hock and cut meat from bone; set aside.
- (For thicker soup, beans may be pureed in a food processor or possibly blender and then returned to kettle.)
- Return ham to soup and heat through.
- Garnish with parsley.
- Yield: 10 servings.
- If cooking for 2: freeze serving-size portions to enjoy later.