long grain rice raisins salt pistachios powdered saffron blanched almonds sugar butter unsalted cashews cardamon seeds lemon cloves heavy creamViewed: 34 - Published at: 4 years ago
- 2-1/3 cup long-grain rice
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup unroasted pistachios
- 1/4 tsp. powdered saffron
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds, sliced and toasted
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup unsalted cashews, toasted
- 2 whole cardamon seeds, shelled
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- Cook rice in 6 cups of boiling water with salt and saffron until half done, approximately 10 minutes.
- Boil the sugar with 3-3/4 cups water for one minute, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Heat butter in bottom of heavy 4-quart Dutch oven or kettle.
- Add the cardamon and cloves and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add all but 1/2 cup of syrup; boil one minute.
- Add rice to mixture and cook, stirring gently, until the butter is absorbed, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, raisins, nuts.
- Cook over fairly high heat 5 minutes.
- Lower heat; cook until rice is tender, stirring when necessary.
- If the rice is not quite tender when the syrup has been absorbed, add the remaining syrup and cook over low heat until the rice is dry and soft.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with whipped cream.