- 2 quarts dry red wine
- 8 cardamom pods
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- Zest of 1 lemon cut into strips
- Zest of 1 navel orange cut into strips
- 1 cup sugar
- 12 to 18 whole blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 6 to 8 ounces Aquavit
- 1 dozen 4-ounce glasses
- 1 dozen small silver spoons
- In a non-aluminum kettle, combine the wine with the cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, orange zest, and lemon zest.
- Stir to mix and set aside to steep overnight.
- Next day, add the sugar and warm the mixture over very low heat until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is hot, about 15 minutes.
- Place 1 almond and 2 or 3 raisins in each glass.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of Aquavit to each glass and place a silver spoon in each.
- Pour the hot wine into the glass and serve.