- About 16 diplii diplii (long peppers)
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons Sichuan peppercorns (optional)
- 2 tablespoons torn prik haeng (dried hot red chiles), seeds discarded
- Special equipment: an electric coffee/spice grinder
- Break enough diplii diplii in half to measure 2 tablespoons.
- Toast diplii diplii, coriander, cumin, peppercorns (if using), and chiles together in a 10- to 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately low heat, stirring, until fragrant and coriander seeds are a shade darker, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Transfer spices to a bowl to cool to room temperature, about 5 minutes, then finely grind in grinder.