- 1 cup barley or 1 cup brown rice
- 3 cups vegetable broth or 3 cups water
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 1 -2 cup turkey or 1 -2 cup chicken meat, cooked and cut into bite sized pieces
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Put barley or rice in a large pot with vegetable broth and chopped onion.
- Cover and cook on medium heat until broth is absorbed, watching the pot to prevent boil over.
- About 45 minutes.
- In the last 15 minutes of cooking the barley or rice, add broccoli.
- When the starch and vegetables are done, remove pot from heat and stir in meat, soy sauce, and cheese.
- Combine until cheese is melted.
- If desired, serve topped with some more grated cheese.