- 6 soaked salt herring fillets
- 4 ounces apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 7 ounces water
- 2 teaspoons peppercorns
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon allspice berry
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- Mix the vinegar, sugar, water and spices in a pan.
- Bring to a boil and cool completely.
- Cut the soaked and desalted fillets into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Thinly slice the red onions and toss with the herring.
- Pour over the pickling solution and let sit overnight before your first nibble.