- 1 1/4 pounds winter squash, diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 to 4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a baking dish large enough to accommodate the squash in an even layer, toss the squash with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and place in the oven.
- Roast 20 minutes, until not quite tender.
- Remove from the heat.
- Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar in a small bowl.
- Heat the remaining olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy skillet, and add the garlic and the squash.
- Cook, stirring gently, for a few minutes, until fragrant and the squash is tender but not too soft about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar and vinegar, and continue to cook, stirring gently, until the liquid is just about gone.
- Add the mint, cook for another minute, and remove from the heat.
- Serve hot, warm or room temperature.