- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 large slice firm, coarse-textured bread
- 1 cup good meat or poultry broth, preferably homemade
- 1 medium egg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh Italian parsley
- Grated fresh nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, then turn it off.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and fry the bread until golden brown on both sides.
- Place in a soup bowl just large enough to fit the bread.
- Place the bowl in the warm oven.
- Place the broth in a saucepan and bring to a strong boil.
- Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Remove the bowl from the oven and break an egg on top of the bread.
- Pour the boiling broth over the egg and season with pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan, chopped parsley and a grating of fresh nutmeg.
- Eat at once.