- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, cut in half
- 1 lrg Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. Virgin extra virgin olive oil Freshly grnd black pepper
- 1 c. Dry white wine
- Dreaded Brussels sprouts are one of my two most favorites.
- Try this, from Time-Life's*Fresh Ways with Vegetables*:
- Put the onion, oil, pepper, and 1/2 c. of water in a saucepan.
- Bring water to a boil over high heat and partially cover pan so a little steam can escape.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook onion, stirring occasionally, until it is caramelized-i.e., water's about all gone, but a brown syrupy release of the onion's natural sugar is around and about-about one hour.
- Uncover pan and add in wine to onion.
- Raise heat to high and boil rapidly until almost all the wine has evaporated-5 - 10 min.
- About 15 min before the onion's done, steam Brussels sprouts until they are tender.
- Toss with onion and serve.