butter flour heavy cream white wine salt ground nutmeg Gouda cheese Bread butter Dijon mustard deli parsleyViewed: 14 - Published at: 5 years ago
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup shredded Gouda cheese
- 8 (3/4 inch thick) slices sourdough bread
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 8 slices deli ham
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Gradually stir the flour into the butter.
- Add small portions of the cream and wine alternately, whisking after each addition to thicken before introducing the next amount.
- Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Melt the cheese into the liquid in small amounts, stirring continually.
- Reduce heat to low and keep sauce warm until using.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Spread 1/2 teaspoon of butter on one side of each slice of bread; spread about 1/2 tablespoon of Dijon mustard on the opposite side of each slice.
- Assemble the sandwiches by placing four slices of bread, buttered side down, into the skillet.
- Top each slice of bread with two slices of ham folded to completely fit on the bread; spoon equal amounts of the cheese sauce over the ham, reserving some of the sauce for later.
- Place the remaining slices of bread, mustard side down, atop the ham and cheese.
- Grill the sandwiches on each side until the bread is an even, golden brown color.
- Spoon a little of the cheese sauce on top of each sandwich before serving.
- Garnish each sandwich with 1 teaspoon of parsley.