- 8 slices Bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 whole Onion, Sliced Lengthwise
- 1 bunch Kale, Stems Removed And Washed
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 6 whole Eggs From Free Range Hens
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 teaspoons Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 5 ounces, weight Emmentaler Cheese, Grated
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees .
- In a large saute pan, cook the bacon and onions over medium heat until bacon is crisp and onions are starting to caramelize, about 5 minutes or so.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Prepare the kale leaves by rolling them up lengthwise and slicing them crosswise into thin strips about 18 inch wide.
- Transfer the kale to an 8 x 11 baking dish and mix with a little of the grated cheese.
- Top with onion and bacon.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cream, eggs, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the cream mixture over the kale and spread the remaining grated cheese on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the cheese is golden and the kale mixture is set.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut into 6 pieces and serve.
- The casserole can be made up to 1 day ahead, cooled, and kept covered in the refrigerator.
- Before serving, warm the covered casserole for about 30 minutes in an oven that has been preheated to 325 degrees .