extra-virgin olive oil onion Italian frying pepper clove garlic beef parsley kosher salt pitas Italian cheese blend sweetViewed: 3 - Published at: 4 years ago
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 Italian frying pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound shaved or very thinly sliced beef
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 whole-wheat pocketless pitas or prebaked individual-size pizza crusts
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend, or a mix of shredded mozzarella, provolone and parmesan
- 1/2 cup pickled sliced sweet or hot cherry peppers
- Preheat the broiler.
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and frying pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef begins to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add the parsley, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring, 1 more minute.
- Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place the pitas on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle each with 1/4 cup cheese.
- Top evenly with the beef mixture and the remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Broil the pizzas until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes.
- Top with the cherry peppers and cut each pizza into quarters.
- Per serving: Calories 590; Fat 33 g (Saturated 13 g); Cholesterol 95 mg; Sodium 1,159 mg; Carbohydrate 32 g; Fiber 5 g; Protein 41 g
- Photograph by Andrew Purcell