- 1 1/2 tablespoons peeled and finely shredded fresh ginger (page 51)
- 1/4 pound hand-minced beef steak (page 69) or ground beef, preferably chuck
- 8 cups Basic Rice Soup (page 67)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Vietnamese coriander or cilantro leaves
- 1 scallion, green tops only, thinly sliced
- Black pepper
- Divide the ginger among the soup bowls or put it in a large serving bowl.
- Similarly, add the beef, scattering it in small pieces.
- Dont mound it or it will cook unevenly.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt on top and set the bowl(s) aside.
- In a saucepan, bring the rice soup almost to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent scorching.
- Ladle it over the beef.
- Garnish with the Vietnamese coriander, scallion, and pepper and serve immediately.
- Before eating, stir the beef from the bottom to ensure that it cooks in the hot soup and the flavors are well mixed.