- 3/4 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 3/4 pound sea scallops, rinsed, tendon removed
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons light olive oil
- Pinch each salt and freshly ground pepper, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs: dill, chives, or basil*
- 1 large head Bibb lettuce, separated into leaves
- Place the shrimp and scallops in 3 quarts of boiling water.
- When the water returns to a boil, drain the seafood and refresh under cold running water.
- Slice the shrimp in half lengthwise, and slice the scallops horizontally into 2 or 3 rounds.
- (The seafood can be prepared up to 1 day ahead.
- Cover and refrigerate.)
- In a bowl large enough to hold the seafood, make the vinaigrette.
- First mix together the lemon juice and mustard.
- Add the oils and whisk well.
- Season with the salt and pepper and stir in the chopped herbs.
- (This can be done ahead and taken out of the refrigerator when ready to assemble the salad.)
- To serve, arrange the Bibb lettuce on the serving plates.
- Whisk the vinaigrette until it is smooth, and toss the seafood in it.
- Either simply mound the seafood in the center of each plate, or arrange each plate by overlapping the shrimp and scallops to form a circular design.
- * If more than one herb is available, use 1 tablespoon of each.