olive oil sweet onions quick-cooking corn low-fat milk curly kale apple cider vinegar Cheddar cheeseViewed: 17 - Published at: 4 years ago
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 2 large sweet onions, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla, halved
- and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned white hominy grits (not instant)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1 lb. curly kale, tough stems removed, torn into bite-size pieces (14 cups)
- 1 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 2 oz. ( 1/2 cup) grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, plus more for sprinkling, optional Toasted sesame seeds, optional
- Heat 2 Tbs.
- oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions, cover, and cook 20 to 25 minutes, or until onions are softened and caramelized, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cook grits according to package directions.
- Stir in corn and milk, and return to a simmer, stirring constantly to incorporate milk.
- Keep warm.
- Steam kale in basket steamer 4 to 5 minutes, or until wilted but still bright green and crisp-tender.
- Transfer to bowl, and stir in vinegar and remaining 1 Tbs.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- To serve: Stir cheese into grits, and transfer to serving platter.
- Top with kale, then onions.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and grated cheese (if using).