4 - Published at:
2 years ago
- 1 cup medium-grain white rice (such as Calrose)
- 1 1/4 cups cold water
- 1 2-inch-square piece dried kelp (konbu),* wiped lightly with dry cloth
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place rice in strainer.
- Rinse under cold water until water runs clear.
- Drain well.
- Transfer rice to heavy medium saucepan.
- Add 1 1/4 cups fresh cold water and kelp to pan.
- Cover and let soak 30 minutes.
- Uncover, discard kelp and bring mixture to boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook until water is absorbed and rice is just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Let stand covered 15 minutes.
- Transfer rice to large glass bowl.
- Combine vinegar, sugar and salt in small saucepan.
- Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Drizzle mixture over rice.
- Gently toss rice with vinegar mixture to coat.
- Cover rice with clean damp towel and cool completely at room temperature (do not refrigerate).