skinless onion orange juice soy sauce olive oil corn shredded lettuce sour cream Green Olive-CilantroViewed: 22 - Published at: 4 years ago
- 2 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 medium onion
- 2 cups fresh orange Juice
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, if frying
- 18 corn or 12 flour tortillas, warmed or crisped just before serving
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 cups sour cream
- Green Olive-Cilantro Salsa
- Place a piece of waxed paper or plastic wrap on a countertop or cutting board.
- Place one chicken breast on top and cover with another piece of waxed paper or plastic wrap.
- With a mallet, hammer, or other pounding device, pound the chicken breast 1/8 inch thick.
- Continue in the same way until all the breasts are flattened.
- Set aside until ready to cook, or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- When ready to cook the fajitas, finely grate the onion.
- In a large nonreactive dish, mix the onion and its juice with the orange juice and soy.
- Remove the waxed paper or plastic wrap, and place the chicken in the onion-orange-soy mixture.
- Turn to coat both sides.
- Set aside to marinate for at least 15 minutes and up to 45, turning once or twice.
- If grilling, prepare a charcoal fire and allow the coals to bum until they are mostly covered with white ash and a few red spots show through here and there.
- This will take about 40 minutes.
- When the fire is ready, place the chicken breasts on the grill rack directly above the coals.
- Cook until no longer pink but still moist in the center, about 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
- If frying, divide the oil between 2 large frying pans and set over medium-high heat until the oil begins to smoke.
- (You can use 1 frying pan to save on dishes and cook the fajitas in several rounds.)
- Add as many chicken breasts as will fit in one uncrowded layer.
- Cook until no longer pink but still moist in the center, about 1 1/2 minutes on each side.
- Remove and drain off any liquid from the pan.
- Continue cooking another round until all of the breasts are cooked.
- Cut the chicken into thin strips.
- To assemble place about 1/3 cup of chicken in the middle of a tortilla.
- Top with some shredded lettuce, sour cream, and Green Olive-Cilantro Salsa.
- Fold and serve.