- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 fennel bulb, sliced thin lengthwise
- 2 cups watercress sprigs, the coarse stems discarded and the springs washed and spun dry
- In a bowl whisk the zest and the orange juice with salt to taste, whisking until the salt is dissolved, add the oil in a stream, whisking, and whisk the dressing until it is emulsified.
- In another bowl toss the fennel with half the dressing until it is coated well.
- Add the watercress to the remaining dressing, toss it until it is just coated well, and divide it between 2 plates, mounding the fennel in the middle.