- 4 slices Thick Cut Bacon
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 6 ounces, weight Fresh Raspberries
- 2 Tablespoons Strawberry Or Raspberry Jam
- 1/4 teaspoons Chipotle Chili Powder
- 4 slices Thickly Cut Hearty Bread, Such As Sourdough
- 6 ounces, weight Grated White Cheddar Cheese
- Prepare the bacon: Place rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Arrange bacon slices in a single layer on a flat ovenproof rack, then set the rack atop the prepared baking sheet.
- Put it into the oven.
- Bake bacon for 10-15 minutes, until crispy.
- Once cooked, carefully remove the pan from the oven, set bacon between two paper towels and pat dry.
- Cut each slice in half and set aside.
- Preheat a cast-iron skillet to medium low.
- Melt half of the butter in the skillet.
- In a small bowl, gently smash and stir the raspberries, jam, and chipotle powder with the back of a spoon.
- The mixture should remain fairly chunky.
- Assemble the sandwiches (makes 2 sandwiches): For each sandwich, layer one slice of bread with a quarter of the cheddar, a quarter of the berries, four half-slices of bacon (2 full slices), an additional quarter of the berries, then one additional quarter of the cheese.
- Carefully set one loaded bread slice down in the buttered skillet.
- Place one remaining bread slice on top of the stack, then spread half of the remaining butter on the top of the bread.
- Cook slowly until the bread is golden and the cheese is hot and melted, flipping once.
- This will take about 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- (I find it helps to place a lid or another heavy skillet directly over the pan.)
- Repeat cooking the second sandwich.
- Slice and serve immediately.