59 - Published at:
3 years ago
- 4 ounces chocolate unsweetened
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1/2 cup nuts chopped
- Preheat the oven to 325F (160C).
- Lightly grease an 8 inch square pan with butter or vegetable oil.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler placed over simmering water.
- Cool the mixture for 5 minutes.
- Place the sugar in a medium-size mixing bowl and pour in the chocolate mixture.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, mix until blended, about 25 seconds.
- Scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Add the vanilla.
- With the mixer on medium-low speed, add the eggs one at a time, blending after each addition until the yolk is broken and dispersed, about 10 seconds.
- Scrape the bowl after the last egg and blend until velvety, about 15 more seconds.
- Add the flour on low speed and mix for 20 seconds.
- Finish the mixing by hand, being certain to mix in any flour at the bottom of the bowl.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the nuts.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake the brownies on the center oven rack until a thin crust forms on top and a tester inserted in the center comes out with a moist crumb, about 35 minutes.
- The center of the brownies should never quite rise to the height of the edges.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a rack to cool for 1 hour before cutting the brownies.
- Serve the next day - it takes a day for the flavor to set.