- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Heat broth and water in a small saucepan over moderate heat until hot, then crumble saffron into liquid and stir.
- Remove from heat.
- Cook onion in butter in a 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add rice and cook, stirring, until fragrant and pale golden, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in saffron broth, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 18 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 5 minutes, then fluff rice with a fork and fold in almonds.