- 6 Granny Smith apples
- 2 cups diced pineapple
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Slice 1/4 of the top off of each apple and reserve.
- Using melon baller, scoop out the apple flesh to leave a hollow cavity (which will be filled with finished salad).
- Coarsely chop the apple flesh and mix with the remaining ingredients in large bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spoon about 3 tablespoons of the mixture in each hollowed out apple and place the reserved tops on the filling (any unused filling can be refrigerated for up to 1 day).
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
- Cook's Note: To prevent the apples from turning brown while preparing the filling, place them in a bowl of water with the juice of 2 limes added.