- 1 1/2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 7 teaspoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups skim milk, heated
- 8 ounces low fat cheddar cheese (2 cups), coarsely grated
- 1 box (7 to 8 ounces) dried macaroni
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook the mixture, stirring for 3 minutes.
- Add the milk in a stream, whisking.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese and cook until cheese is melted.
- Cook the macaroni according to package instructions and drain well.
- Combine with cheese mixture and salt and pepper to taste.
- Nutritional Value Per Serving: 294 calories, 31% from fat, 10 grams of fat, 314 milligrams of sodium