water pearl barley bamboo skewers limes olive oil ground red pepper ground cumin salt shrimp mango loosley packed fresh basil herb salad blendViewed: 19 - Published at: 7 years ago
- 2 c. water
- 1 c. pearl barley
- 8 Metal or bamboo skewers
- 2 limes
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 lb. large shelled and deveined shrimp
- 1 ripe mango
- 1/2 c. loosley packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 bag herb salad blend
- In 1-quart saucepan, heat water and barley to boiling on high.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 35 minutes or until barley is just tender and liquid is absorbed.
- If using bamboo skewers, soak skewers in hot water 30 minutes.
- Prepare outdoor grill for covered direct grilling on medium.
- Prepare dressing: From limes, grate 1 teaspoon peel and squeeze 1/4 cup juice.
- In bowl, combine oil, ground red pepper, cumin, lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon lime peel, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- When barley is cooked, transfer to large bowl and toss with all but 1 tablespoon of dressing; cool 5 minutes.
- In medium bowl, toss shrimp with reserved 1 tablespoon dressing and remaining 1/2 teaspoon lime peel.
- Thread shrimp on skewers.
- Place shrimp on hot grill grate.
- Cover grill and cook shrimp 4 to 5 minutes or until just opaque throughout, turning shrimp over once.
- Remove shrimp from skewers.
- Add mango, basil, and salad to barley; toss to combine.
- Serve shrimp over salad; garnish with basil leaves.