- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 teaspoons instant or rapid-rise yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup dry white wine, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, yeast, salt, and sugar and mix well.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the warm water, wine, and olive oil.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry until the mixture is too stiff to stir, then mix with your hands in the bowl until the dough comes together and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour and turn the dough out.
- Knead gently, dusting the work surface lightly with more flour as necessary, for 5 minutes, or until the dough is smooth, elastic, and only slightly sticky.
- Oil a large clean bowl, add the dough, and turn to coat.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel, set in a warm part of the kitchen, and let the dough rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough, and it is ready to use.