extra-virgin olive oil extra-virgin olive oil white onion carrot celery tomatoes fresh basil sugar fresh thyme garlic country bread chicken brothViewed: 34 - Published at: 2 years ago
- 14 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus additional
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 large celery, stalk, chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cans plum tomatoes (Italian San Marzano, drained, seeded and chopped)
- 6 large fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 12 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 6 ounces country bread, crusts trimmed, roughly torn (about 6 cups)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in heavy large pot over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion, carrot, and celery.
- Saute until vegetables are very tender, stirring frequently, about 25 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, basil, sugar, thyme, and garlic.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium cover and simmer 40 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add bread pieces and broth to pot.
- Whisk vigorously to break up bread.
- Cook until heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide soup among bowls, drizzle with additional oil and serve.